Monday, March 21, 2011

MONDAY IN THE SECOND WEEK OF LENT

Monday in the Second Week of Lent

Prayer.

GRANT, we beseech Thee, O Almighty God, that Thy family, who, afflicting their flesh, abstain from food, by following justice may fast from sin. Through Jesus Christ our Lord, etc. Amen.

EPISTLE. Daniel ix. 15-19.

In those days Daniel prayed unto the Lord, saying: O Lord our God, Who hast brought forth Thy people out of the land of Egypt with a strong hand, and hast made Thee a name as at this day : we have sinned, we have committed iniquity, Lord, against all Thy justice : let Thy wrath and Thy indignation be turned away, I beseech Thee, from Thy city Jerusalem, and from Thy holy mountain. For by reason of our sins, and the iniquities of our fathers, Jerusalem, and Thy people are a reproach to all that are round about us. Now, therefore, O our God, hear the supplication of Thy servant, and his prayers : and show Thy face upon Thy sanctuary which is desolate, for Thy own sake. Incline, O my God, Thy ear and hear: open Thy eyes, and see our desolation, and the city upon which Thy name is called : for it is not for our justifications that we present our prayers before Thy face, but for the multitude of Thy ten der mercies. O Lord, hear : O Lord, be appeased : hearken and do : delay not for Thy own sake, O my God : because Thy name is invoked upon Thy city, and upon Thy people.

GOSPEL. John viii. 21-29.

At that time Jesus said to the multitude of the Jews : I go, and you shall seek Me, and you shall die in your sin. Whither 1 go, you cannot come. The Jews therefore said : Will He kill Himself, because He said: Whither I go, you cannot come?  And He said to them : You are from beneath, I am from above. You are of this world, I am not of this world. Therefore I said to you, that you shall die in your sins. For if you believe not that I am He, you shall die in your sin. They said therefore to Him: Who art Thou? Jesus said to them: The beginning, Who also speak unto you. Many things I have to speak and to judge of you. But He that sent Me is true : and the things I have heard of Him, these same I speak in the world. And they understood not that He called God His Father. Jesus therefore said to them : When you shall have lifted up the Son of man, then shall you know that I am He, and that I do nothing of Myself, but as the Father hath taught Me, these things I speak : and He that sent Me is with Me, and He hath not left Me alone : for I do always the things that please Him.
------------------------------------------


Next: Tuesday in the Second Week of Lent